Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Safe and Sound in Durban

1/14/09 (I think)

After a long flight and time change, my system is all messed up, but I would like to share some brief impressions from my arrival.

As I disembarked onto the tarmac in Durban, I smelled what seemed to me like woodsmoke. Mixed with the damp air, the scent reminded me of muddy Spring-time at a Dartmouth cabin in the woods. I knew I had landed in a city, so I was confused about where the wood smoke could be coming from.

Passing quickly through the airport, I easily found a taxi. What not to do in South Africa: when the driver tells you to sit in the front, DO NOT walk around to the right side of the car. He jokingly asked if I wanted to drive, and I realized my mistake and walked around to the left side. No thank you, I definitely do not want to drive, especially after little sleep in 24 hours.

On the highway, I noticed a smell wafting through the open window. This time, I was clear that it was not wood smoke. The smokestacks interrupting the skyline were a giveaway that something other than wood was burning.

Upon learning that I was from the US, the driver immediately asked me if I lived near the twin towers. It took 5 minutes to explain that even though I live near New York City, no, I do not live near the twin towers and was not near them when they collapsed. (I thought: that was so long ago! Is it still what defines us?)

I took the opportunity to ask him if people were excited about President Obama here. He said no, South Africa has enough to worry about. He mentioned Zuma raping women and getting away with it. I told him I had read the short blurb about Zuma in the NY Times, but honestly had not followed the entire story. (For a brief back story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7153378.stm)

At this point, I realized I was far from home. How self-centered of me to think that everyone in the world knows that Connecticut is two hours from the twin towers, and that everyone is closely following our presidential transition. And how much do we know about Zuma?


p.s. I have a cell phone, and incoming calls are free! Would love to hear from you: 011-27-082-858-5194

1 comment:

  1. glad you made it down there all right and i hope everything is going well so far! xo, kj

    ReplyDelete